I was pretty excited to make the kids their first Bento sandwiches. It is crazy how much prep time goes into making these buggers!
First up: Pizza Sandwhiches
How did I do it? I used a large regular circle to cut 4 slices of bread (I made 2 sandwiches). The large circle was perfect because it basically just cut the corners and crust off (not wasting to much). I then used a smaller heart cutter to cut the shape into two of the cut circles. I then used the circle to cut the slices of cheese. (For this sammy I used 2 slices eat) I also cut up baby carrots into very thing slivers and then into smaller pieces. Placed one slice of circle cheese onto the circle bread w/o the heart, put some of the carrots onto the cheese and laid the second circle cheese on top. I then put it in the microwave for 15 seconds (or till cheese was melted) ***This was my sneaky way to get the kids to eat a veggie*** I then put mini pepperonis on top of the cheese, put the top circle bread on top. Then I spread strawberry jam really thinly on the cutout heart, sliced up some strawberries and put them in the cupcake holder. I finished it all up with some mac & cheese (Kraft brand)
Kids reaction? Both kids looked at them with excitement. Ellie did really good at eating the sandwich until she realized it had carrots in it, but that was over half way through it. Both kids chowed on the strawberries and Garrett ate the strawberry jam heart. Ellie did not. They of course ate some of the mac & cheese, too. Oh and Garrett takes his sandwich apart and picked the pepperonis and cheese off and thats basically all he ate of it.
Day 2: Cowboy bears
How did I do it: I used a cowboy hat cookie cutter to cut out the hats and cheese and grilled them till the cheese melted. Then I used a small bear cutter to make the little bear, a boot cutter to cut out 2 slices of lunch meat, a small heart cutter to cut a heart for the bear out of a strawberry. Lastly, I used star cutters to cut stars out of strawberries.
Kids reaction: Ellie thought it was cute and ate most all of it. Garrett ate all the strawberries, ham and picked apart the grilled cheese.
I think next week I may try to make minute rice and see if they like it. Also, I have an idea for a breakfast bento sandwich for them, just havent had the energy in the morning to do it yet.
I have to add, dont you hate when you want to google something but by the time you get a new window open to do it, you have done forgot when you were going to search? Yeah, me too. Happens a lot to me it seems. Maybe it has to do with the constant yelling of kids in my house that clouds my thoughts..... Probably
On down to the Comment Challenge. Today is day #4. Today's topic is Tell us about your hobbies! What do you do in your free time? What are your favorite books, movies, music etc?
My hobbies consist of chasing 3 kids around. :) Oh wait, thats my job. Hobbies, I like to scrapbook and do other crafty stuff. I just havent had the energy, motivation or time lately to do anything. I also love to be outside! Our newest family hobby consists of taking the Polaris Ranger out for rides. Where we live (BFE Arizona) there are old roads and trails everywhere, not to mention old mines. The kids do really well when we go for rides and usually end up sleeping part of the way out and part of the way home.
![]() |
| Yes, that is an old mine set up to the left in the above picture. |
I am not much of a book reader. It really takes a lot to get me to read one, but seems like I like the Harlequin books. I also like mystery. My favorite book is Memoirs of a Geisha. I have always loved old world Japanese culture and this book seems so real even though it is fiction.
I have a bunch of favorite movies. Just a few- The Labyrinth, The Crow, Back to the Future (all 3 parts), 101 Dalmatians (cartoon), How To Train A Dragon, Tombstone .... And then my mind draws a blank. Hahaha! It happens when Im put on the spot. I have many others.
Music? Well to pretty much sum up what music I listen to- What's hot. 20s on 20, Pop2k and Country (The Highway). Those are the 3 XM stations I listen to in my car and in the house.
Well that pretty much sums up todays topic. Have fun on the Comment Challenge!
--Robin





Stopping by from Jenna's challenge! You have a beautiful family and adorable blog! And the food pics reminded me that I haven't eaten today, ha!
ReplyDeleteBlessings to you!
The pizza sandwiches are so cute!! I am also on a weight loss journey (to lose the baby weight! :) saw that was one of your reasons to start this blog... hope its going well!!
ReplyDeleteCute lunch ideas! Stopping by from Jenna's blog.
ReplyDelete